Friday, May 4, 2012

Forgiving Forward



As a part of a school assignment I was supposed to read Bruce and Toni Hebel's book Forgiving Forward. I don't think that I would had read that book on my own, because the cover and the title do not seem to be so inviting. Perhaps the biggest problem was the recommendation in the cover from Bruce Wilkinson (+ numerous referrals to him as a friend and an originator of the idea for writing the book), and that feeling that they are speaking about a movement I haven't heard, and they also have a dot com site for their book.


What was good in the book?
Hebels have encountered forgiveness issues, both in their ministry and personal life. The best thing was the stories that also make the book very easy to read. The book tries to offer help to people with forgiving issues and also be a guide how to be part of this revolution/movement and help other people forgive. Why does it have to sound like it would be a new invention? We are speaking here about a topic that has been around for 6000 years!


I walked through the steps of forgiving that they introduce with my mentor, and it was helpful. I know that I can use of the tools in my ministry, and perhaps also point to the book as a reference/pack of good stories.


Critique?
Already said. Good thing they managed to keep the book small enough.

To whom I'd recommend?
Counsellors, pastors. I'm not sure if a person with bitterness in his life would pick this up or find it helpful.

Grade (1-5)
***

No comments:

Post a Comment